DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS (100%)
Founded in 2002, TRIAL International is a non-governmental organization fighting impunity for international crimes and supporting victims in their quest for justice. The organization takes an innovative approach to the law, paving the way to justice for survivors of unspeakable suffering. With offices in Geneva, Bosnia-Herzegovina and the Democratic Republic of Congo, TRIAL International provides legal assistance, conducts investigations, litigates cases, develops local capacity, and pushes the human rights agenda forward.
In order to strengthen the structure of the organization and accompany its growth, we are looking for a motivated and experienced Director of Operations, a full-time position based in Geneva.
The overall mission of this newly created position is to ensure the implementation and coherence of all of TRIAL International’s operational activities through a global, organizational approach, in close collaboration with the Executive Director, the External Relations Department and the Finance and Administration Department. As a member of the Management Team, the Director of Operations contributes to the successful management of a dynamic and growing organization and participates in strategic discussions related to all areas of the organization.
- To oversee the implementation of TRIAL International’s strategic plan within all programs by coordinating the annual planning (operational plans, budgets and human resources), monitoring of activities and strategic partnerships with other NGOs and actors. You will ensure efficient processes are in place, address potential operational challenges and supervise the conceptualization and operationalization of emerging activities.
- To supervise and coach a highly motivated team of program/project managers and other functions trough effective leadership, guidance and well-defined roles and responsibilities. You will foster an open and creative organizational culture among employees and promote transversality and synergies by engaging in internal communication. You will ensure the continuous development of skills and help setting meaningful individual and collective goals.
- To promote the capitalization of best practices and encourage continuous learning, contributing to the effectiveness and efficiency of TRIAL International’s activities. You will support the improvement of existing internal procedures and project management tools, especially with regard to MEAL (monitoring, evaluation, accountability, and learning) processes.
- To strengthen the organization’s security and risk management by developing and monitoring policies and procedures to ensure that financial, legal, programmatic and organizational risks are minimized. You will support the development of the organization’s security policy, supervise the implementation of security protocols adapted to the context of each operational program and consolidate processes related to our Duty of Care.
- Confirmed professional experience in a senior leadership role in an NGO with an international dimension.
- Awareness of operational management within a small organization and, ideally, previous experience in organizational management.
- Field experience and/or knowledge of security frameworks and procedures.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills and track-record of successful development and implementation of efficient internal procedures and policies.
- Proven ability to set clear priorities, handle challenging workloads and multiple deadlines.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, managerial and communication skills: capacity to effectively lead and manage a diverse team, ability to provide strategic direction, motivate staff, as well as the ability to work transversally in a complex environment.
- Capacity to find innovative and creative solutions and to operate in a dynamic and changing environment.
- Solid experience in managing large donor-funded projects, including budgeting, financial management and audits as well as monitoring and evaluation.
- Passionate about justice and human rights with a strong identification with TRIAL International’s mission, and open to travel both within Switzerland and internationally.
- Highly developed written and oral communication, negotiation, interpersonal and networking skills.
- Proficiency in French and English is a must, other languages are an asset.
- Swiss or EU/EFTA nationals or in possession of a valid work permit in Switzerland.
WHAT WE OFFER
An exciting and varied opportunity in a dynamic organization in full development and within a committed and motivated team.
- Reporting to: Executive Director
- Workplace: Geneva, Switzerland
- Workload: Full-time position (40h/week)
- Type of contract: Permanent contract
- Start date: 1 July 2023 (or upon agreement)
The conditions of employment offered correspond to those in force in the NGO sector, with 6 weeks annual leave and flexible working arrangements.
We look forward to receiving your application. Please send a complete application (cover letter of a maximum of one page, CV including three professional references with phone numbers and email, diplomas and certificates) to firstname.lastname@example.org, by Thursday 30 March 2023, noon (CET).
Only complete and eligible applications will be considered.
Please note that the first round of interviews will be held during the first week of April. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We invite you to send your CV without a photo.